Curator of Exhibitions
Applications, with cover letter, and references should be sent to Doug@mcac.org.
Applications will be accepted until November 9, 2018
Highly qualified applicants would have a master's degree in Art, Art History or related field.
This position begins at $13 an hour.
Curator, McLean County Arts Center
Develops exhibition programming for Brandt, Armstrong, and Sales Galleries
- · Mindful of MCAC mission, varied exhibitions (local, contemporary, national, cultural, permanent collection, varied media, etc.)
- · Researches and writes policy for exhibitions and contracts with artists
- · Creates exhibition program, devises calendar, coordinates with all MCAC functions and cultural Bloomington-Normal functions
- · Selects exhibitions/artists with assistance from Exhibition Committee
- · Studio visits, attend other exhibitions, artists talks, openings, visibility, accessibility, networking
- · Records video interviews with exhibiting artists for exhibition videos
- · Selects and coordinates educational programs, performances, bus tours, artist talks, poetry readings, interpretive programs, etc. as concurrent/related events to exhibitions and mission.
- · Serves as guide/speaker to touring groups, school field trips, greets and orients visitors to exhibitions
- · Writes and provides documentation for exhibition program, for use in fund raising, grants, newsletters, web site, press materials, community calendars, and exhibition signage
- · Documents exhibitions – collects all written reviews, photographs, video
- · Provides projected exhibition budgets, estimates expenses and income.
- · Assists in finding appropriate funding for exhibitions, responsible for development of sponsors’ knowledge of exhibition, thank you letters, etc.
- · Devises, with artists, exhibition price lists and assists with exhibition sales
- · Serves as the Arts Center’s liaison with exhibiting artists
- · Presentation partner in Annual Fundraiser Luncheon
- · Prepare and present exhibition materials and image presentation for MCAC Annual Meeting
- · Serves as juror of artist applications for Holiday Treasures
- · Responsible for artistic quality and content of Sales Gallery
- · Supervises and trains all staff that work directly with artworks at Arts Center
- · Help maintain building order and cleanliness
- · Serve as lead for MCAC Facility Rentals
- · Responsible for building security
- · Works 20-30 hours per week dependent on need
- · Must be able to lift 40 lbs
- · Schedule receipt and dispersal of artworks
- · Coordinate shipping, packing and insurance
- · Manage and maintain records, loan agreements, receipts, condition reports
- · Create announcements and brochures, coordinate with graphic designer and printer, determine copies needed, coordinate printing and mailing schedules, update and manage artist mailing list
- · Manage exhibition publicity and marketing
- · Available for exhibition related media interviews
- · Procurer of refreshments for receptions and plating of food and set up of bar
- · Work with Project Coordinator to provide annual inventory on non-exhibition artwork
- · Supervise exhibition related interns in tandem with staff team
- · Coordinate board member volunteers for Holiday Treasures decorating, event set up, and event assistance
- · Coordinate board member volunteers for Amateur exhibition drop off hours
- · Creates and implements exhibition lay out
- · Creates and develops signage, labels and checklists
- · Mindful of gallery support materials such as video, computers, books, comment books, guest books, etc.
- · Assists Project Coordinator with maintenance of gallery and installation of artwork
Directs and manages the Arts Center Permanent Collection
- · Researches, writes and implements collection management policy
- · Maintains valuation records for insurance purposes
- · Recommends new acquisitions
- · Monitors condition of collection
- · Uses collection in exhibitions, bi-annually
- · Manages and maintains records, computer and hard
- · Develops potential donor relationships
- · Determines need and coordinates photography, matting, framing, labeling
- · Researches and catalogs objects in the collection
- · Manages yearly inventory of collection